[Python-Dev] Issues with Py3.1's new ipaddr

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Wed Jun 3 06:55:49 CEST 2009

On 03/06/2009, at 12:39 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I'm disappointed in the process -- it's as if nobody really reviewed
> the API until it was released with rc1, and this despite there being a
> significant discussion about its inclusion and alternatives months
> ago. (Don't look at me -- I wouldn't recognize a netmask if it bit me
> in the behind, and I can honestly say that I don't know whether /8
> means to look only at the first 8 bits or whether it means to mask off
> the last 8 bits.)
>
> I hope we can learn from this.

When including third-party modules into the standard library, we've
generally only included them after they have broad acceptance in the
community. In this case, however, it seems that while the ipaddr
module had acceptance within Google, it had not had much exposure to
the broader python community. I think if anyone other than Guido had
proposed adding the module to the standard library, we would not have
even considered it until it had spent some time standing on it's own
two feet.