[Python-Dev] Issues with Py3.1's new ipaddr

Neil Schemenauer nas at arctrix.com
Wed Jun 3 19:13:19 CEST 2009

Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> It would be really nice if say the Cheeseshop had a voting feature.
> Use PEP 10 voting to get a rough estimate of a module's popularity
> (download counts alone might not tell you everything).  Then at least
> you can get a rough idea of how generally popular a module is in the
> wider community.  Also, a module should have to live on its own two
> feet for while on Cheeseshop before being considered for inclusion in
> the stdlib.

Better yet would be something like Debian's popularity-contest
mechanism (it provides opt-in voting of packages based on what is
installed on your machine).  popularity-contest runs from a cron
job.  Maybe when Python is installed it could ask if you want to
submit package statistics.  If so, installing a package with
distutils would submit the name and version number to a central
server.

If we knew which batteries were most popular we could make sure they
are included in the package. ;-)

  Neil