[Python-Dev] python.org OS

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Jan 5 11:38:21 CET 2009

Leif Walsh writes:

 > True, most of the upgrade problems deal with packages that aren't in
 > the server install.  This should be an easy one, but now I'd ask, why
 > not use Debian instead?

You mean, "why not stick with Debian instead?"<wink>

The reason is that Debian stable lags the real world dramatically.
It's an extremely stable platform (in all meanings of "stable"), but
quite restrictive.  Ubuntu's LTS versions are much more up-to-date.

Debian "sid" is out, obviously, and Debian "testing" has the problem
that it is a fairly fast-moving target.  Not so much as "sid", but if
I were the sysadmin, I would not be happy with installing "testing" as
of some date, knowing that many components would not correspond to
that tag within hours, at most days.

It's a hard question IMO.