[Python-Dev] python.org OS

Leif Walsh leif.walsh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 07:32:18 CET 2009

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 8:51 PM, Steve Holden <steve at holdenweb.com> wrote:
> Ubuntu is a victim of its own success. They now have to deal with the
> same diversity of hardware environments as Windows. I hope that
> Canonical will find a way to stabilize things.

I think it's actually worse.  Microsoft can always (and, in my
experience, often does) restrict their support to hardware sets
approved for "Windows ver. N".  Custom-built or upgraded
("tampered-with") boxes often get worse (or no) support than OEM
boxes.  Linux distributions, on the other hand, are expected to
provide support for any hardware.  In this respect, since Ubuntu has a
larger user base, and therefore a larger range of hardware sets, yes,
their job is difficult, but I'm not sure this is a victimization,
rather more of an inherent issue exacerbated by its success.  Either
way, it does kind of suck.

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> This certainly conforms to what I've seen on that LUG list.  Since
> nobody on that list is running Ubuntu server, the "scary one" (quoted
> above) can probably be discounted, too.  That looks like some
> user-friendliness run amok.

True, most of the upgrade problems deal with packages that aren't in
the server install.  This should be an easy one, but now I'd ask, why
not use Debian instead?

--
Cheers,
Leif