[Python-Dev] python.org OS

Leif Walsh leif.walsh at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 18:39:34 CET 2009

I missed the beginning here; oh well.

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Aahz <aahz at pythoncraft.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 04, 2009, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>> Steve Holden writes:
>>>
>>> Hey, isn't Ubuntu Debian-based? ...
>>
>> Ouch.  I don't actually use Ubuntu, but when everybody on my local LUG
>> list from the "Linux should be Windows but cheaper" newbies to former
>> NetBSD developers is grouching about upgrade hell, I don't see any
>> real benefits to be gained.  You're still going to need to go with a
>> "don't think about fixing what ain't broke, and even if it's just
>> kinda broke, Just Say No to that upgrade dope" policy.

In my experience, Ubuntu tends to stray away from the Way Things Are
Traditionally Done, and this can be problematic, sometimes.  Because
they change things so drastically, they can do some pretty neat stuff,
but if I decide I want to tweak something on my own, I usually find
that they haven't provided a mechanism for changing something they've
already changed (or at least not for a few releases).  So, I blunder
on ahead and mess with it, and when it comes time to upgrade, their
scripts are expecting it to be the way they left it, but obviously it
isn't that way, so it breaks horribly.

Of course, if you aren't trying to mess with all manner of weird
things (I think my latest trouble came from messing with pam and
shared memory to get my audio software to run smoothly), it should be
perfectly stable and upgradable.

--
Cheers,
Leif