[Python-Dev] python.org OS

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Jan 4 15:51:53 CET 2009

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Steve Holden writes:
>>
>> Hey, isn't Ubuntu Debian-based? ...
>
> Ouch.  I don't actually use Ubuntu, but when everybody on my local LUG
> list from the "Linux should be Windows but cheaper" newbies to former
> NetBSD developers is grouching about upgrade hell, I don't see any
> real benefits to be gained.  You're still going to need to go with a
> "don't think about fixing what ain't broke, and even if it's just
> kinda broke, Just Say No to that upgrade dope" policy.

What kind of upgrade hell are you talking about?  I have used several
different Linux distributions, Windows, and OS X, and I have to say that
upgrading Ubuntu has been by far the easist and least painful of them
all.  Because I was lazy, last weekend I finally did a two-stage upgrade
from 7.10 to 8.04 and then 8.10, with zero noticeable problems.

"roses are reddish, violets are bluish, Chanukah is 8 days, don't you
wish you were Jewish?"