[Python-Dev] python.org OS

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sun Jan 4 17:26:26 CET 2009

Aahz writes:

 > all.  Because I was lazy, last weekend I finally did a two-stage upgrade
 > from 7.10 to 8.04 and then 8.10, with zero noticeable problems.

The scary one is two independent reports of fstab corruption in the
8.04 to 8.10 upgrade.  It is claimed to be unfixable by booting from
CD, mounting the partition, and editing fstab: the editor saves but
the fstab returns to the original corrupt state upon reboot.

Several reports of inability to use formerly working Japanese input
methods.  Several reports of formerly working xorg.conf suddenly
reverting to VESA 1024x768x8 (or worse).

I don't use Ubuntu so this is all hearsay, but I do trust the
ex-NetBSD dev to be reporting accurately.  He's only having problems
with his custom X11 keymap getting trashed, and something else
relatively minor with Xorg.

And for that ML this is huge; I don't recall so many screams on a
commercial vendor upgrade since Red Hat went from HJ Liu libc to glibc
2.