[Python-Dev] I would like an svn account

Ulrich Eckhardt doomster at knuut.de
Sat Jan 3 17:13:05 CET 2009

On Saturday 03 January 2009 16:52:56 Victor Stinner wrote:
> > A little offtopic: it seems to me it is a flaw of svn, that it
> > encourages the model of two classes of developers, those with a commit
> > access (first class) and those without it (second class).
>
> Yes, that's the problem. Is it not possible to have finer permission
> (instead of boolean permission: commit or not commit)? Eg. give commit
> access but only for a file or a directory?

Yes it is possible.

As far as your goal is concerned, couldn't you live with a branch where you
develop the feature? That way, people could see your code and e.g. switch
their working copies there for testing or even merge it into trunk some day.
SVN actually supports that rather well, it would be guaranteed to not affect
the quality of the releases negatively and saying "please merge r1234 from
foo into trunk" is much easier than downloading and applying a patch, which
doesn't even cover all possible changes that SVN does.

Actually, I'd like such a branch, too, where I could move much quicker and in
particular with the backing of a VCS to port Python to MS Windows CE.
Currently, I'm tempted to pull the code into a private repository, which
causes problems when I want to push it back upstream.

Uli