[Python-Dev] I would like an svn account

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at haypocalc.com
Sat Jan 3 16:52:56 CET 2009

> A little offtopic: it seems to me it is a flaw of svn, that it
> encourages the model of two classes of developers, those with a commit
> access (first class) and those without it (second class).

Yes, that's the problem. Is it not possible to have finer permission (instead
of boolean permission: commit or not commit)? Eg. give commit access but only
for a file or a directory? It looks like Tarek Ziade is now allowed to
commit, but only on distutils. I like such permission because nobody knows
the whole Python project, it's too huge for a single brain ;-)

> your main point is that using bugtracker for committing patches
> is very painful (I agree)

No, my point is that some patches stay too long in the tracker. GIT, Mercurial
or anything else are a little bit better than the tracker (the patches can be
synchronized with upstream), but the goal is to be part of the upstream code
base.

A distributed VCS is useful to test huge changes. Performance improvment on
integers (patches to optimize the multiplication, use base 2^30 instead of
2^15, etc.) would benefit from such tools, because cooperative work is
easier.

--
Victor Stinner aka haypo
http://www.haypocalc.com/blog/