[Python-Dev] Tracker archeology

Daniel (ajax) Diniz ajaksu at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 14:08:07 CET 2009

Brett Cannon wrote:
> One thing to keep an eye on for old issues, Daniel, is the Stage
> field. Setting that is nice for Bug Days as people can see what
> issues still need a test written or could use a review, etc.

OK, I'll try to set a useful Stage for bugs I edit. I'll reread your
blog post on stages and study the discussion.

> I have a doc I am writing up at
> http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg7fctr4_51cbt2vktw which outlines
> what the various Stage values should mean. Feedback from you and
> anybody else is welcome, although realize it is rough as I was not
> planning to make this public quite yet.

Looking good, I'll collect doc feedback as I learn Stages better.

Here's some feedback on Stages themselves (still learning, probably misguided).

Many old issues have patches without tests, or have patches and tests
that are outdated. Others have patches (and sometimes tests), but
aren't confirmed as bugs. So the Stage field would be easier to use if
it included: 'not reproduced in current releases', 'reproduced, needs
updating', 'is this really a bug?' (i.e., should I be writing a
test/confirming or discussing the issue?), 'on hold/blocked' (has a
blocking dependency).

I'm not sure those would be useful for new issues, I think handling
the important cases efficiently is more desirable than tuning the
workflow for old issues. It's telling that the Stage that caught my
attention was [triage] :D

Thank you for the support and feedback (and Stages guide!), it helps a lot :)

Daniel