[Python-Dev] Tracker archeology

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Thu Feb 12 19:31:04 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 05:08, Daniel (ajax) Diniz <ajaksu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Brett Cannon wrote:
> > One thing to keep an eye on for old issues, Daniel, is the Stage
> > field. Setting that is nice for Bug Days as people can see what
> > issues still need a test written or could use a review, etc.
>
> OK, I'll try to set a useful Stage for bugs I edit. I'll reread your
> blog post on stages and study the discussion.
>
> > I have a doc I am writing up at
> > http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dg7fctr4_51cbt2vktw which outlines
> > what the various Stage values should mean. Feedback from you and
> > anybody else is welcome, although realize it is rough as I was not
> > planning to make this public quite yet.
>
> Looking good, I'll collect doc feedback as I learn Stages better.
>
> Here's some feedback on Stages themselves (still learning, probably
> misguided).
>
> Many old issues have patches without tests, or have patches and tests
> that are outdated. Others have patches (and sometimes tests), but
> aren't confirmed as bugs. So the Stage field would be easier to use if
> it included: 'not reproduced in current releases', 'reproduced, needs
> updating', 'is this really a bug?' (i.e., should I be writing a
> test/confirming or discussing the issue?), 'on hold/blocked' (has a
> blocking dependency).

Sounds like a "*verify issue* stage is needed. Although I guess I kind of
assumed as part of the triage issue verification would happen as well, but
that might be too much as a single step.

All the other ones can use the current stages (e.g. a missing test with a
patch is still at a *test needed* stage, it just happens to be able to skip
to review once that test is ready).

> I'm not sure those would be useful for new issues, I think handling
> the important cases efficiently is more desirable than tuning the
> workflow for old issues. It's telling that the Stage that caught my
> attention was [triage] :D

=)

> Thank you for the support and feedback (and Stages guide!), it helps a lot
> :)

Glad it's helpful!

-Brett