[Python-Dev] pkgutil, pkg_resource and Python 3.0 name space packages

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 10:33:34 CET 2008

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
> -On [20080108 17:07], Christian Heimes (lists at cheimes.de) wrote:
>> Python's _winreg module and pywin32 expose several functions to get the
>> paths from the registry but I don't think it has a simple function like
>> get_mydocuments().
>
> Careful with the name though. Microsoft Windows Vista did away with 'My
> Documents & Settings'. It is now C:\Users.
>
> So you get:
>
> C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\    (former Local Settings\Application Data)
> C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\  (former Application Data)
> C:\Users\<name>\Documents         (former My Documents)
> C:\Users\<name>\Music             (former My Music)
> C:\Users\<name>\Pictures          (former My Pictures)
> C:\Users\<name>\Videos            (former My Videos)

Somewhat off topic, but hooray, it looks like someone at MS rediscovered
the command line and why "Long and Wordy Names with lots of spaces" are
really annoying. Easier access to the application data directory is a
good thing too.

I guess moving to Vista wouldn't be all bad then ;)

To get marginally back on topic, I would actually prefer to have a
function like os.gethomedir() that takes on optional user name. (I don't
want it enough to write a patch to make it happen though)

Cheers,
Nick.