[Python-Dev] pkgutil, pkg_resource and Python 3.0 name space packages

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Wed Jan 9 11:02:44 CET 2008

Nick Coghlan wrote:
> Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven wrote:
>
>> -On [20080108 17:07], Christian Heimes (lists at cheimes.de) wrote:
>>
>>> Python's _winreg module and pywin32 expose several functions to get the
>>> paths from the registry but I don't think it has a simple function like
>>> get_mydocuments().
>>>
>> Careful with the name though. Microsoft Windows Vista did away with 'My
>> Documents & Settings'. It is now C:\Users.
>>
>> So you get:
>>
>> C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Local\    (former Local Settings\Application Data)
>> C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\  (former Application Data)
>> C:\Users\<name>\Documents         (former My Documents)
>> C:\Users\<name>\Music             (former My Music)
>> C:\Users\<name>\Pictures          (former My Pictures)
>> C:\Users\<name>\Videos            (former My Videos)

Note today's Coding Horror blog entry: "Don't Pollute User Space"

 Keep your dirty, filthy paws out of my personal user space!

Take a look in your Documents folder right now. Go ahead. Look. Do you
see any files or folders in there that you personally did not create? If
so, you've been victimized. Applications should never create or modify
anything in your documents folder without your permission.
{snip...]
If applications need to store shared files, that's what the \AppData and
\Application Data folders are for.

Sentiments I agree with...

Michael
http://www.manning.com/foord