[Python-Dev] pysqlite for 2.5?

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Thu Mar 30 14:03:23 CEST 2006

On Thursday 30 March 2006 22:31, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> I don't really care about the name, but please be aware that
> you are talking about adding a *very* popular module name to
> the top-level Python namespace if you go for "db" or "database".
>
> Why can't we just have the pysqlite package as top-level
> package, with a slight change in name to prevent clashes
> with the external distribution, e.g. sqlite ?!
>
> Such a module name is less likely to cause problems.

Excellent point. Hm. Maybe we should just go with 'sqlite', instead.

Anyway, at the moment, there's 'db.sqlite' all checked in and working
on a branch, at
svn+ssh://pythondev@svn.python.org/python/branches/sqlite-integration
or, if you use a readonly version
http://svn.python.org/python/branches/sqlite-integration

(you can use 'svn switch URL' to change a current trunk checkout to
the branch without having to checkout a whole new version).

It is from sqlite 2.1.3. Gerhard is cutting a 2.2.0 which reduces the
requirement for the version of sqlite3 that is required. Currently,
it needs 3.2.2 or later. There's tests (which pass), setup.py magic
to find a correct sqlite3 version, and the like. Still to do:

Windows buildproj
Documentation
Upgrade to the updated pysqlite once it's out
maybe switch from db.sqlite to just sqlite (trivial enough change).

Anthony