[Python-Dev] pysqlite for 2.5?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Mar 30 17:04:24 CEST 2006

Anthony Baxter wrote:
> On Thursday 30 March 2006 22:31, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>> I don't really care about the name, but please be aware that
>> you are talking about adding a *very* popular module name to
>> the top-level Python namespace if you go for "db" or "database".
>>
>> Why can't we just have the pysqlite package as top-level
>> package, with a slight change in name to prevent clashes
>> with the external distribution, e.g. sqlite ?!
>>
>> Such a module name is less likely to cause problems.
>
> Excellent point. Hm. Maybe we should just go with 'sqlite', instead.

Anything, but please no "db" or "database" top-level module or
package :-)

> Anyway, at the moment, there's 'db.sqlite' all checked in and working
> on a branch, at
> svn+ssh://pythondev@svn.python.org/python/branches/sqlite-integration
> or, if you use a readonly version
> http://svn.python.org/python/branches/sqlite-integration
>
> (you can use 'svn switch URL' to change a current trunk checkout to
> the branch without having to checkout a whole new version).
>
> It is from sqlite 2.1.3. Gerhard is cutting a 2.2.0 which reduces the
> requirement for the version of sqlite3 that is required. Currently,
> it needs 3.2.2 or later. There's tests (which pass), setup.py magic
> to find a correct sqlite3 version, and the like. Still to do:
>
> Windows buildproj
> Documentation
> Upgrade to the updated pysqlite once it's out
> maybe switch from db.sqlite to just sqlite (trivial enough change).

I take it that this is not going to go into 2.5a1 ?!

Also your statement regarding sqlite3 suggests that sqlite
itself is not included - why not ?

Isn't the main argument for having pysqlite included in the
core to be able to play around with SQL without relying
on external libraries ?

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 30 2006)