[Python-Dev] pysqlite for 2.5?

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Thu Mar 30 13:31:04 CEST 2006

Bill Janssen wrote:
>> from a user perspective, adding this to the standard library is a no-brainer.
>> the only reason not to add it would be if the release managers don't have
>> time to sort out the build issues.
>
> I agree with Fredrik here.
>
> On the package naming issue: using "em" for "email" would be wrong,
> just as "db" for "database" would be wrong.  I might change my mind if
> all stdlib packages were under some toplevel package, like "stdlib".

I don't really care about the name, but please be aware that
you are talking about adding a *very* popular module name to
the top-level Python namespace if you go for "db" or "database".

Why can't we just have the pysqlite package as top-level
package, with a slight change in name to prevent clashes
with the external distribution, e.g. sqlite ?!

Such a module name is less likely to cause problems.

Thanks,
--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Mar 30 2006)