[Python-Dev] Document performance requirements?

Scott Dial scott+python-dev at scottdial.com
Tue Jul 25 00:43:57 CEST 2006

Between the two of you, I think you have made the case that the language
specification is better to not include such details. As you both note,
it is difficult to capture the essence of what is desired from the
performance of the implementation. To tag on other version, what about
Big-O space concerns with things like list.sort. I'm sure there are
other things to add as well.

It seems reasonable to me that everyone has the same interests in mind
when they write a program. Make it good, make it fast, make it small,
etc. These sort of details should work themselves out if they are
actually important. All of these algorithms should be treated as
implementation accidents.

Having the information about CPython's implementation in the docs would
be good. And go most of the way towards having everyone on the same page.

--
Scott Dial
scott at scottdial.com
scodial at indiana.edu