[Python-Dev] Windows SDK

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Sat Dec 9 20:28:08 CET 2006

"Albert Strasheim" <fullung at gmail.com> wrote:
> As part of the Windows Vista release, Microsoft have created the "Windows
> SDK" that looks like Platform SDK on steroids. It includes 32-bit and 64-bit
> libraries and compilers, debugging tools, etc. and supports Windows XP,
> Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista.

Possibly not being able to run the compiler on Windows 2000 (or ME/98/95)
in a "supported" mode may be a deal killer for people to not switch (and
stick with the Platform SDK or Visual Studio 2003). I also wonder if the
results of the compilations are usable on Windows 2000 (or ME/98/95).

> I'm only guessing here, but I think the Windows SDK is probably going to
> become the de facto standard for building software on Windows in the absence
> of Visual Studio. Has anybody else looked at the Windows SDK yet? Any
> thoughts on what needs to be done with distutils so that the Windows SDK can
> be supported in Python 2.6?

Someone will have to add/update a visual studio project file equivalent
in the PCBuild directory.  I think it would be nice if the person who
updates the PCBuild stuff also tried to find someone with other Windows
platforms (64 bit, win2k, possibly the 95/98/ME family).

 - Josiah