[Python-Dev] Windows SDK

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Dec 9 21:10:11 CET 2006

Albert Strasheim schrieb:
> I'm only guessing here, but I think the Windows SDK is probably going to
> become the de facto standard for building software on Windows in the absence
> of Visual Studio. Has anybody else looked at the Windows SDK yet? Any
> thoughts on what needs to be done with distutils so that the Windows SDK can
> be supported in Python 2.6?

As always, the question is what msvcrt version the compiler links with.
For Itanium and AMD64, the SDK (compiler) links with mscvrt.dll, which
is the CRT version distributed with the system.

Python 2.5 is already build with the SDK compiler on these targets, so
you can use the SDK to build extensions. To use the SDK compiler, open
an SDK build environment, and set the environment variable
DISTUTILS_USE_SDK.

For x86, the situation is more difficult. I'm uncertain what CRT the
x86 SDK compiler links with. Mixing CRTs may or may not work, depending
on what precisely the extension module does.

For 2.6, I hope we will switch to VS 2007 (assuming that's released
at that point). Then, the question is whether the Windows SDK will
support VS 2007.

Regards,
Martin