[Python-Dev] Windows SDK

Albert Strasheim fullung at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 00:51:57 CET 2006

Hello all

(A quick google of the python-dev archive didn't turn up any discussions on
this topic. If this has already been discussed, please accept my humble
apologies.)

As part of the Windows Vista release, Microsoft have created the "Windows
SDK" that looks like Platform SDK on steroids. It includes 32-bit and 64-bit
libraries and compilers, debugging tools, etc. and supports Windows XP,
Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista.

Check the Microsoft Windows SDK Blog for more info:

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowssdk/

Go here for links to ISO and web install:

http://blogs.msdn.com/windowssdk/archive/2006/11/08/windows-sdk-for-windows-vista-is-live.aspx

I'm only guessing here, but I think the Windows SDK is probably going to
become the de facto standard for building software on Windows in the absence
of Visual Studio. Has anybody else looked at the Windows SDK yet? Any
thoughts on what needs to be done with distutils so that the Windows SDK can
be supported in Python 2.6?

Cheers,

Albert Strasheim