[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

Christopher Petrilli petrilli at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 06:50:16 CEST 2005

On 7/29/05, Fred L. Drake, Jr. <fdrake at acm.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 28 July 2005 20:07, Fernando Perez wrote:
>  > or something similar.  It's an extra few chars, and it would give a
>  > convenient way to branch off pieces of the main code into their own
>  > subprojects in the future if needed.
>
> More interestingly, keeping it in a single repository makes it easier to merge
> projects, or parts of projects, together, without losing the history.  This
> would be useful when developing packages that may be considered for the
> standard library, but which also need to continue separate releases to
> support older versions of Python.  We've found it very handy to keep multiple
> projects in a single repository for zope.org.

I thought I would chime in on this with some more experience.  We use
SVN (migated from CVS about 2 years ago) for everything, and we keep
it all in one repository (even though there's several "products") for
exactly this reason.  The major "downside" that I, and some others,
find is changeset explosion.  When you start getting into 5 digit
changeset numbers it can become a bit unwieldy to remember to type
them all, but otherwise it works well.

We also moved from BerkeleyDB-based to fsfs recently, and it seems to
have fixed some intermittent problems we had had in the past.

Another thing to look at would be Trac, which we are in the process of
moving to from the horrendous nightmare of Bugzilla.  It's integration
with SVN as well as Wiki is quite amazing.

Chris