[Python-Dev] PEP 347: Migration to Subversion

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Aug 16 22:33:27 CEST 2005

Neil Schemenauer wrote:
> Another option would be to pay someone to maintain the SVN setup on
> python.org.  Unfortunately, I guess that would require someone else
> to first create a detailed description of the maintenance work
> required and to process bids.

I think this would be difficult. I could imagine services like
tummy.com, where you can hire somebody on an hours-per-week
basis; these people maintain multiple servers, and just need to
do the proper accounting. However, they also (naturally) tend
to desire an organization that meets their needs also, e.g.
by providing the machine and network (this is apparently how
tummy.com operates).

If you are suggesting that the PSF hires a specific individual
for that maintenance, the risk of getting somebody
unexperienced/uncooperative would be much higher: if we were
unhappy with the tummy.com guy looking after our hardware,
we could complain to his boss; if that is the boss, we would
just take our data and cancel the contract.

Also, hiring somebody would be somewhat unfair to people who
do similar tasks as volunteers, and I guess the board might
not agree to such expenses.

Regards,
Martin