[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Aug 8 08:05:15 CEST 2005

Nicholas Bastin wrote:
> It's a mature product.  I would hope that that would count for
> something.

Sure. But so is subversion.

> I've had enough corrupted subversion repositories that I'm
> not crazy about the thought of using it in a production system.

I had the last corrupted repository with subversion 0.23. It has
matured since then. Even then, invoking db_recover would restore
the operation, without losing data (i.e. I did not need to go
to backup).

>>Interesting offer. I'll add this to the PEP - who is "we" in this
>>context?
>

> Uh, the Python community.  Which is currently hosting a subversion
> repository, so it doesn't seem like a stretch to imagine that
> p4.python.org could exist just as easily.

Ah. But these people have no expertise with Perforce, and there
is no Debian Perforce package, so it *is* a stretch assuming that
they could also host a perforce directory.

So I should then remove your offer to host a perforce installation,
as you never made such an offer, right?

> Pardon me if I don't feel that I'd like to see a system in production
> for a few weeks before we declare victory.  The problems with this
> kind of conversion can be very subtle, and very painful.  I'm not
> saying we shouldn't do this, I'm just saying that we should take an
> appropriate measure of how much greener the grass really is on the
> other side, and how much work we're willing to put in to make it that
> way.

Yes. That's what this PEP is for. So I guess you are -1 on the
PEP.

Regards,
Martin