[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Thu Aug 4 02:26:18 CEST 2005

On Wed, Aug 03, 2005, Nicholas Bastin wrote:

> I'd put $20 on the fact that cvs2svn will *not* work out of the box
> for converting the python repository.  Just call it a hunch.  In any
> case, the Perforce-supplied cvs2p4 should work at least as well.

Maybe.  OTOH, I went to a CVS->SVN talk today at OSCON, and I'd be
suspicious of claims that Python's repository is more difficult to
convert than others that have successfully made the switch (such as KDE).
I'd rather not rely on licensing of a closed-source system; one of the
points made during the talk was that the Linux project had to scramble
when they lost their Bitkeeper license (but they didn't switch to SVN
because they wanted a distributed model -- one of things I appreciated
about this talk was the lack of One True Way-ism).

The way to build large Python applications is to componentize and
loosely-couple the hell out of everything.