[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

Nicholas Bastin nick.bastin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 21:18:35 CEST 2005

On 8/2/05, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> George V. Neville-Neil wrote:
> > Since Python is Open Source are you looking at Per Force which you can
> > use for free and seems to be a happy medium between something like CVS
> > and something horrific like Clear Case?
>
> No. The PEP is only about Subversion. Why should we be looking at Per
> Force? Only because Python is Open Source?

Perforce is a commercial product, but it can be had for free for
verified Open Source projects, which Python shouldn't have any problem
with.  There are other problems, like you have to renew the agreement
every year, but it might be worth considering, given the fact that
it's an excellent system.

> I think anything but Subversion is ruled out because:
> - there is no offer to host that anywhere (for subversion, there is
>   already svn.python.org)

We could host a Perforce repository just as easily, I would think.

> - there is no support for converting a CVS repository (for subversion,
>   there is cvs2svn)

I'd put $20 on the fact that cvs2svn will *not* work out of the box
for converting the python repository.  Just call it a hunch.  In any
case, the Perforce-supplied cvs2p4 should work at least as well.

--
Nick