[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Aug 4 05:36:55 CEST 2005

>>>>> "aahz" == aahz  <aahz at pythoncraft.com> writes:

    aahz> I'd rather not rely on licensing of a closed-source system;
    aahz> one of the points made during the talk was that the Linux
    aahz> project had to scramble when they lost their Bitkeeper
    aahz> license

Python is unlikely to throw away its license in the same way, I should
think.  For additional security, you could try to negotiate a
perpetual license on a particular version, or a license that required
substantial notice (say, six months) for termination.  I would imagine
you could get them; the only reason for the vendor not to give them
would be spite.

The problem with both of those options is the one that Martin already
pointed out: negotiation takes effort.  There are several good open
source alternatives, one of which (svn) is well-established and gets
excellent reviews for those goals it sets itself, which happen to be
solving the problems (as opposed to missing features) of CVS.  Why
spend effort on negotiating licenses and preparing for potential
vendor relationship problems, unless there's acknowledged need for
features svn doesn't provide?