[Python-Dev] Re: Timing for Py2.4

Florian Schulze florian.proff.schulze at gmx.net
Tue Mar 30 05:13:06 EST 2004

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:58:31 -0500, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com>
wrote:

>> Saying "oh, just release an alpha1 anyway,
>> if it is completely screwed, we can just release an alpha2 two days
>> later" underestimates the amount of work needed to cut one of these
>> things.
>
> Don't misquote.  I said alphas are part of the development process that
> allows a wider range of people to exercise the build with the potential
> benefit of finding an issue that would have otherwise gone undetected.
> Issuing an alpha is not an irresponsible act.

I currently can't compile Python 2.4 myself (don't have MSVC 7.1), so I
can't test out Python 2.4. What about just releasing a development
snapshot if that is a better name than alpha. I think 2.4 should get a
release soon, so people who want to test it out, get the chance.

The guy who wants to try Python 2.4 but isn't able to,
Florian Schulze