[Python-Dev] Re: Timing for Py2.4

Gareth garth at garthy.com
Tue Mar 30 06:21:56 EST 2004

Florian Schulze wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 23:58:31 -0500, Raymond Hettinger <python at rcn.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> Saying "oh, just release an alpha1 anyway,
>>> if it is completely screwed, we can just release an alpha2 two days
>>> later" underestimates the amount of work needed to cut one of these
>>> things.
>>

>> Don't misquote.  I said alphas are part of the development process that
>> allows a wider range of people to exercise the build with the potential
>> benefit of finding an issue that would have otherwise gone undetected.
>> Issuing an alpha is not an irresponsible act.
>

> I currently can't compile Python 2.4 myself (don't have MSVC 7.1), so
> I can't test out Python 2.4. What about just releasing a development
> snapshot if that is a better name than alpha. I think 2.4 should get a
> release soon, so people who want to test it out, get the chance.
>
> The guy who wants to try Python 2.4 but isn't able to,
> Florian Schulze

If you want to compile python 2.4 with the freely downloadable tools
available from microsoft you can use a script I wrote.

Download + install the Microsoft .NET SDK
and the the Platform SDK

Grab the scripts from here

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-February/042595.html

This enables anyone to download python24 and compile it with freely
available tools

Garth