[Python-Dev] decimal module portability to 2.3?

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Fri Aug 20 00:53:20 CEST 2004

> The docstring for the decimal module says in part:
>
>   This is a Py2.3 implementation of decimal floating point arithmetic
> based on
>   the General Decimal Arithmetic Specification:
>
> Is it intended to remain 2.3-compatible for the forseeable future?
It's
> not
> mentioned in PEP 291, nor is there any discussion of portability to
2.3 in
> PEP 327.

I've added module comments to include an update policy and will update
the PEP 291 to match.  Nothing in Py2.4 warrants giving up 2.3
compatibility, so 2.3 will be kept at least until Py2.5.

> I ask because we're at 2.3.4 at work, but could use it today.  I'd
hate to
> have to track it to backport fixes though.  It would be ideal if I
could
> simply copy the 2.4 version as it matures.

Yes, that was the intention behind the 2.3 compatibility code I put in.
Also, I will keep testing it under 2.3.

Also, the policy states that spec updates will be treated as bugfixes
and backported.  There should be very few of these and they are likely
to not be major.  There were a couple of big changes on the table but
Mike Cowlishaw advised me that these are now very unlikely.

Raymond