[Python-Dev] decimal module portability to 2.3?

Batista, Facundo FBatista at uniFON.com.ar
Thu Aug 19 23:06:15 CEST 2004

[Skip Montanaro]

#- Is it intended to remain 2.3-compatible for the forseeable
#- future?  It's not
#- mentioned in PEP 291, nor is there any discussion of
#- portability to 2.3 in
#- PEP 327.

I don't have plans to do some effort to keep it "2.3-runnable" when Py2.4
hits the street. Don't know if Raymond or somebody will preocupate about
this.

Could decimal be backported to 2.3 and be included in some 2.3.5? Don't know
if this behaviour is common to Python.

#- I ask because we're at 2.3.4 at work, but could use it
#- today.  I'd hate to
#- have to track it to backport fixes though.  It would be
#- ideal if I could
#- simply copy the 2.4 version as it matures.

I have a similar issue.

I copied the decimal.py code and included it on the SiGeFi package
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/sigefi), so when somebody downloads the 0.2
version could use it with Py2.3 (it's the version required).

My plan (right now) is to wait Py2.4, then remove decimal.py from the
package and require Py2.4 (this is justified because SiGeFi will reach "user
usage" next year).

.	Facundo