[Python-Dev] decimal module portability to 2.3?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Aug 19 22:40:24 CEST 2004

The docstring for the decimal module says in part:

  This is a Py2.3 implementation of decimal floating point arithmetic based on
  the General Decimal Arithmetic Specification:

Is it intended to remain 2.3-compatible for the forseeable future?  It's not
mentioned in PEP 291, nor is there any discussion of portability to 2.3 in
PEP 327.

I ask because we're at 2.3.4 at work, but could use it today.  I'd hate to
have to track it to backport fixes though.  It would be ideal if I could
simply copy the 2.4 version as it matures.

Thx,

Skip