[Python-Dev] Unifying Long Integers and Integers: baseint

Dmitry Vasiliev lists at hlabs.spb.ru
Mon Aug 9 17:38:18 CEST 2004

Michael Hudson wrote:
> Dmitry Vasiliev <lists at hlabs.spb.ru> writes:
>
>>Is there a plan for implementing a base class for int and long (like
>>basestring for str and unicode):

>>True
>
> Not that I'm aware of.  Personally, I think it's slightly more likely
> that we'll have:

> True
>
> but this is a long way off, and could cause upset with people who need
> to do bit bashing or interface with C.

Quote from PEP-237:

"""
A new type,
integer, may be introduced that is an abstract base type of
which both the int and long implementation types are
subclassed.  This is useful so that programs can check
integer-ness with a single test:

      if isinstance(i, integer): ...
"""

So maybe correct question then: is there a plan for implementing the
integer type in Python 2.4?

--
Dmitry Vasiliev (dima at hlabs.spb.ru)
     http://hlabs.spb.ru