[Python-Dev] Unifying Long Integers and Integers: baseint

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon Aug 9 13:05:04 CEST 2004

Dmitry Vasiliev <lists at hlabs.spb.ru> writes:

> Is there a plan for implementing a base class for int and long (like
> basestring for str and unicode):
>
>  >>> issubclass(int, baseint) and issubclass(long, baseint)
> True

Not that I'm aware of.  Personally, I think it's slightly more likely
that we'll have:

>>> int is long
True

but this is a long way off, and could cause upset with people who need
to do bit bashing or interface with C.

Of course,

>>> baseint = (int, long)

makes what you type accurate today :-)

Cheers,
mwh

--
  > so python will fork if activestate starts polluting it?
  I find it more relevant to speculate on whether Python would fork
  if the merpeople start invading our cities riding on the backs of
  giant king crabs.                 -- Brian Quinlan, comp.lang.python