[Python-Dev] Unifying Long Integers and Integers: baseint

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Mon Aug 9 14:58:26 CEST 2004

Dmitry Vasiliev wrote:

> Quote from PEP-237:
>
> """
> A new type,
> integer, may be introduced that is an abstract base type of
> which both the int and long implementation types are
> subclassed.  This is useful so that programs can check
> integer-ness with a single test:
>
>      if isinstance(i, integer): ...
> """
>
> So maybe correct question then: is there a plan for implementing the
> integer type in Python 2.4?

Well, we're a couple of weeks from what will hopefully be the last
alpha. I'd _hope_ anything like this would be in before then (although
we can have things that change behaviour up until b1, I'd prefer that
a3->b1 is just fixing bugs that require changes, or minor changes, not
major changes). OTOH, I'm not sure how deep a change like this would be.

In any case, if it's a change that you (or anyone else) feels strongly
about, a patch on SF would be a first step towards making this happen.

Anthony