[Python-Dev] Adding Asian codecs to the core

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 09:35:08 +0200

Aahz Maruch wrote:

> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> >
> > Tamito KAJIYAMA recently announced that he changed the licenses
> > on his Japanese codecs from GPL to a BSD variant. This is great
> > news since this would allow adding the codecs to the Python core
> > which would certainly attract more users to Python in Asia.
> >
> > The codecs are 280kB when compressed as .tar.gz file.
>
> +0
>
> I like the idea, am uncomfortable with that amount of space.

Tamito corrected me about the size (his file includes the .pyc
byte code files): the correct size for the sources is 143kB --
almost half of what I initially wrote.

If that should still be too much, there are probably some ways
to further compress the size of the mapping tables which could
be investigated.

PS: Tamito is very thrilled about getting his codecs into the
core and I am quite certain that he is also prepared to maintain
them (I have put him on CC).

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH