[Python-Dev] "Becoming a Python Developer"

Samuele Pedroni Samuele Pedroni <pedroni@inf.ethz.ch>
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 18:53:16 +0200 (MET DST)

[Andrew Kuchling]
> It might also be Java's development culture.  Back when I occasionally
> looked for Java classes, it was amazing how little free Java software
> there was.  People would write, say, a specialized AWT Layout class,
> but instead of putting on a Web page with source code and an example,
> they'd want to you pay $25 or $300 for it!  This probably isn't helped
> by Java support on Unixes (other than Solaris) having been so dodgy
> for so long, as Unix seems to have the strongest such culture.  So
> people may not be accustomed to the idea that if they use Jython, they
> can also *improve* it.
Or maybe there's not a lot of people with core hacking attitude in
the java world. How many people do know the classfile format and the
jvm instruction set ? ... Or their boss does not want them to spend
office time on one of the key of their company success ;)
Any conspiracy theory can do the job here <wink> Nevertheless the situation
is bit sad ...

> BTW, I assume the Jython source uses the standard Java indentation and
> formatting style?
Yes and identation = 4 spaces

A note: the code is a bit messy sometimes ;)