[Python-Dev] 1.6 job list

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 01:35:39 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Tim Peters wrote:
> [GregS proposes a partial packaging of std modules for 1.6, Guido objects on
>  spurious grounds, GregS refutes that, Guido agrees]
>
> > I'll have to invent a different reason why I don't want this -- because
> > I really don't!
>
> This one's easy!  It's why I left the 20th of the 20 Pythonic Theses for you
> to fill in <wink>.  All you have to do now is come up with a pithy way to
> say "if it's something Guido is so interested in that he wants to be deeply
> involved in it himself, but it comes at a time when he's buried under prior
> commitments, then tough tulips, it waits".

No need for Pythonic Theses. I don't see anybody disagreeing with the end
goal. The issue comes up with *how* to get there.

I say "do it incrementally" while others say "do it all at once."
Personally, I don't think it is possible to do all at once. As a
corollary, if you can't do it all at once, but you *require* that it be
done all at once, then you have effectively deferred the problem. To put
it another way, Guido has already invented a reason to not do it: he just
requires that it be done all at once. Result: it won't be done.

[ not saying this was Guido's intent or desire... but this is how I read
  the result :-) ]

Cheers,
-g

--