[Python-Dev] 1.6 job list

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 13:56:20 -0500

> I say "do it incrementally" while others say "do it all at once."
> Personally, I don't think it is possible to do all at once. As a
> corollary, if you can't do it all at once, but you *require* that it be
> done all at once, then you have effectively deferred the problem. To put
> it another way, Guido has already invented a reason to not do it: he just
> requires that it be done all at once. Result: it won't be done.

Bullshit, Greg.  (I don't normally like to use such strong words, but
since you're being confrontational here...)

I'm all for doing it incrementally -- but I want the plan for how to
do it made up front.  That doesn't require all the details to be
worked out -- but it requires a general idea about what kind of things
we will have in the namespace and what kinds of names they get.  An
organizing principle, if you like.  If we were to decide later that we
go for a Java-like deep hierarchy, the network package would have to
be moved around again -- what a waste.