[Python-Dev] Sourceforge Interface Concerns

Andy Robinson andy@reportlab.com
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 08:03:08 +0100

I missed all the SourceForge discussions, but ReportLab have been running
all our development on SourceForge for five months and I'd like to share
some concerns.

First, we all use command line CVS, mostly from Windows; I just posted our
setup instructions.  It works fine but a bit slowly.

I find the web interface totally unusable from IE5 and Netscape 4.XX,
working over 64k lines or dialup lines.  Once one logs in via SSL, only
about one click in five ever returns a sensible page, and most just time out
and give an error message.  Many other people on the reportlab-users list
and my team report similar problems.   On the other hand, many are
incredulous and say they have never had a problem.  I found no complaints on
the SF discussion groups, but as far as I can tell hardly anyone uses them.
It seems to be better over big corporate connections.  I don't think it is
because I am in Europe; we never have trouble with our US ISPs.

As a result of this, we have not used the wonderful looking bug tracking,
to-do-list, patch manager etc.

How many people here have actually created accounts for themselves on
SourceForge and tried to do stuff when logged in - raise bugs and so on?
Did it work for you?  We ought to get a few data points before making this
the way Python is managed.

- Andy Robinson