[Python-Dev] Request for guidance on documentation

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:24:41 -0400 (EDT)

Andrew Kuchling writes:
 > That's up to Fred to decide.  I suspect the answer is no, since it
 > would make the library reference too large and ungainly if every

  Hey, it's large & unweildy now.  ;-)  But I think you're right.
Improving the curses HOWTO separately from the reference documentation
makes sense.

 > I will re-raise the idea of adding the HOWTOs to the documentation
 > subtree, though; Fred & I have discussed it before, and decided not to
 > for reasons that I can't remember.

  I don't recall exactly, but I think it had a bit to do with the
release scheduling (perhaps this was when the documentation was
release lockstep with CPython?) and editorial control -- as long as
you're willing to act as HOWTO editor, you should be able to release
regardless of whether there's anything new to release in the standard
library.

Eric again:
 > Also, I'm not sure where the material for curses.textbox should go.  New
 > section?  Or a subsection in the curses document?

  curses.textbox should be documented in a \section like any other
module.  It can be placed in libcurses.tex along with the other
curses-related modules.
  Is curses.wrapper documented, or is it an implementation detail?

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>
BeOpen PythonLabs Team Member