[Python-Dev] PEP 201 - Parallel iteration

Gordon McMillan gmcm@hypernet.com
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 18:44:44 -0400

Vladimir.Marangozov wrote:

> Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> >
> > > I just can't believe that we can't find a more intuitive name
> > > for this function!
> >
> > ...and I cannot believe that you're trying to reopen this
> > discussion once again :-(
>
> :-) Sorry, but it was discussed during a short period of time
> (despite the huge number of posts in that time slice) and I
> wasn't really available for participating seriously in the
> discussion. So now I'm taking the opportunity to read the PEP
> without much external pression, as well as to say what I think
> and to think what I say.
>
> Note that I suggested Barry to sumbit this PEP to a broader
> audience for collection external opinions on all aspects of the
> PEP. If there are several people with CS background that don't
> feel good with this name, there's something wrong with it.

To me, "zip" in the context of computers means compress.
But it's a stupid name for compress. And one look at the args
makes it obvious it's not a compress. So I expect that your
typical newbie will do one, and only one "Huh??? Oh - zip as
in zipper, not zip as in PKZIP" and never have to post again.

wishfully-y'rs

- Gordon