[Python-Dev] ML replies (was: CVS: python/dist/src/PCbuild readme.txt,1.5,1.6)

Greg Stein gstein@lyra.org
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 03:24:38 -0700

On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 10:07:47AM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     MH> [I wishing mailing-lists would agree on how they handle
>     MH> reply-to :-]
>
> It's fundamentally broken, but the problem is in the mail readers
> (MUA).  There's no header (that I'm aware of) that portably tells an
> MUA - "Hey, for a group follow up, don't go to the original list, go
> to THIS one instead, but for an individual followup (i.e. reply) still
> address that to the original author."
>
> This is one reason why munging reply-to is evil.  But in this case
> we've agreed that following up to python-dev is more important than
> preserving the ability to reply to the author.

What about the Mail-Followup-To header? That can be helpful for some
newsreaders (e.g. Mutt). Dunno how many observe it.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/