[Python-Dev] breaking list.append() (was: Python-checkins digest, Vol 1 #370 -8 msgs)

Christian Tismer tismer@tismer.com
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 20:52:21 +0100

Greg Stein wrote:

> +1 on breaking it now, rather than deferring it Yet Again.
>
> IMO, there has been plenty of warning, and there is plenty of time to
> correct the software.
>
> I'm +0 on adding a warning architecture to Python to support issuing a
> warning/error when .append is called with multiple arguments.

Well, the (bad) effect of this patch is that you cannot run
PythonWin any longer unless Mark either supplies an updated
distribution, or one corrects the two barfing Scintilla
support scripts by hand.
Bad for me, since I'm building Stackless Python against 1.5.2+,
and that means the users will see PythonWin barf when installing SLP.

Adding a warning instead of raising an exception would be nice IMHO,
since the warning could probably contain the file name and line
number to change, and I would leave my users with this easy task.

cheers - chris

--
Christian Tismer             :^)   <mailto:tismer@appliedbiometrics.com>