[Python-Dev] breaking list.append()

Tue, 29 Feb 2000 15:46:32 -0600 (CST)

    Christian> Well, the (bad) effect of this patch is that you cannot run
    Christian> PythonWin any longer unless Mark either supplies an updated
    Christian> distribution, or one corrects the two barfing Scintilla
    Christian> support scripts by hand.

Zope has the multi-arg append problem as well.

It wasn't clear to me where all the problems resided.  I've been thinking
mostly about the problem in Python code.  Thankfully Tim released
checkappend last night!  Even after getting rid of all the cases it found I
was still getting some flaky tracebacks which suggest to me that some C code
makes the same sort of assumptions.

I've never labored under the assumption that append would take multiple
arguments.  I was mildly surprised to find an instance of this crop up in my
own code...

Skip Montanaro | http://www.mojam.com/
skip@mojam.com | http://www.musi-cal.com/