[Python-Dev] *.dsp and *.dsw are treated by CVS as binary. Why?

Trent Mick trentm@ActiveState.com
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 11:47:19 -0700

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 08:59:22PM -0400, Tim Peters wrote:
> Not really.  They're not human-editable!  Leave 'em alone.  Keeping them in
> binary mode is a clue to people that they aren't *supposed* to go mucking
> with them via text processing tools.

I think that putting them in binary mode is a misleading clue that people
should not muck with them. The *are* text files. Editable or not the are not
binary. I shouldn't go mucking with 'configure' either, because it is a generated
file, but we shouldn't call it binary.

Yes, I agree, people should not muck with .dsp files. I am not suggesting
that we do. The "text-processing" I was referring to are my attempts to keep
a local repository of Python in our local SCM tool (Perforce) in sync with
Python-CVS. When I suck in Python-CVS on linux and them shove it in Perforce:
 - the .dsp's land on my linux box with DOS terminators
 - I check everything into Perforce
 - I check Python out of Perforce on a Windows box and the .dsp's are all
   terminated with \r\n\n. This is because the .dsp were not marked as binary
   in Perforce because I logically didn't think that they *should* be marked
   as binary.
Having them marked as binary is just misleading I think.

Anyway, as Guido said, this is not worth arguing over too much and it should
have been fixed for you about an hour after I broke it (sorry).

If it is still broken for you then I will back out.

Trent

--
Trent Mick
TrentM@ActiveState.com