[Python-Dev] *.dsp and *.dsw are treated by CVS as binary. Why?

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Sat, 12 Aug 2000 15:39:03 -0400

[Trent Mick]
> I think that putting them in binary mode is a misleading clue that
> people should not muck with them. The *are* text files.

But you don't know that.  They're internal Microsoft files in an
undocumented, proprietary format.  You'll find nothing in MS docs
guaranteeing they're text files, but will find the direst warnings against
attempting to edit them.  MS routinely changes *scads* of things about
DevStudio-internal files across releases.

For all the rest, you created your own problems by insisting on telling
Perforce they're text files, despite that they're clearly marked binary
under CVS.

I'm unstuck now, but Fredrik will likely still have new problems
cross-mounting file systems between Windows and Linux (see his msg).  Since
nothing here *was* broken (except for your private and self-created problems
under Perforce), "fixing" it was simply a bad idea.  We're on a very tight
schedule, and the CVS tree isn't a playground.