[Python-Dev] *.dsp and *.dsw are treated by CVS as binary. Why?

Tim Peters tim_one@email.msn.com
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 20:59:22 -0400

[Trent Mick]
> These files (PCbuild/*.dsw PCbuild/*.dsp) are just normal text files.
> Why, then, do we treat them as binary files.
>
> Would it not be preferable to have those files be handled like
> a normal text files, i.e. check it out on Unix and it uses Unix
> line terminators, check it out on Windows and it uses DOS line
> terminators.
>
> This way you are using the native line terminator format and text
> processing tools you use on them a less likely to screw them up.
> (Anyone see my motivation?).

Not really.  They're not human-editable!  Leave 'em alone.  Keeping them in
binary mode is a clue to people that they aren't *supposed* to go mucking
with them via text processing tools.

> Does anybody see any problems treating them as text files? And,
> if not, who knows how to get rid of the '-kb' sticky tag on those
> files.

Well, whatever you did didn't work.  I'm dead in the water on Windows now --
VC6 refuses to open the new & improved .dsw and .dsp files.  I *imagine*
it's because they've got Unix line-ends now, but haven't yet checked.  Can
you fix it or back it out?