[Python-Dev] tests for standard library modules

Guido van Rossum guido@beopen.com
Thu, 03 Aug 2000 15:39:44 -0500

> Most of the standard library is untested.

Indeed.  I would suggest looking at the Tcl test suite.  It's very
thorough!  When I look at many of the test modules we *do* have, I
cringe at how little of the module the test actually covers.  Many
tests (not the good ones!) seem to be content with checking that all
functions in a module *exist*.  Much of this dates back to one
particular period in 1996-1997 when we (at CNRI) tried to write test
suites for all modules -- clearly we were in a hurry! :-(

--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.pythonlabs.com/~guido/)