[Python-Dev] tests for standard library modules

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 04:45:52 +0300 (IDT)

On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> > Most of the standard library is untested.
>
> Indeed.  I would suggest looking at the Tcl test suite.  It's very
> thorough!  When I look at many of the test modules we *do* have, I
> cringe at how little of the module the test actually covers.  Many
> tests (not the good ones!) seem to be content with checking that all
> functions in a module *exist*.  Much of this dates back to one
> particular period in 1996-1997 when we (at CNRI) tried to write test
> suites for all modules -- clearly we were in a hurry! :-(

Here's a suggestion for easily getting hints about what test suites to
write: go through the list of open bugs, and write a "would have caught"
test. At worst, we will actually have to fix some bugs <wink>.

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
There is no IGLU cabal.