[Python-Dev] tests for standard library modules

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@beopen.com
Thu, 3 Aug 2000 15:31:50 -0400 (EDT)

Most of the standard library is untested.

There are 148 top-level Python modules in the standard library, plus a
few packages that contain 50 or 60 more modules.  When we run the
regression test, we only touch 48 of those modules.  Only 18 of the
modules have their own test suite.  The other 30 modules at least get
imported, though sometimes none of the code gets executed.  (The
traceback module is an example.)

I would like to see much better test coverage in Python 2.0.  I would
welcome any test case submissions that improve the coverage of the
standard library.

Skip's trace.py code coverage tool is now available in Tools/script.
You can use it to examine how much of a particular module is covered
by existing tests.

Jeremy